Monday, November 2, 2009

What's That Sound??

Apparently my day didn't get the memo that Halloween is over. It was dressed up like a beautiful, fun-filled, stress free day... then, sometime mid-morning it took it's costume off.

If I were to describe my day to you with sound effects it would sound something like this (go ahead, read it out loud):

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.... yawn.... stretch
brush, brush, brush
humdee dum dum dum
kachink, bonk, diggy-diggy (sorting toys)
bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz- POP! (the toaster)
munch munch gulp gulp
"Aw, crap!!" (remembering I have guests for dinner tonight)
clean clean clean
spray spray spray
wipe wipe wipe
shhhhhh, kachink, krink, shhhhhh, pang, (loading dishwasher)

ring-ring, "Hello? Sure, no problem."
ding-dong "Hi, come on in."

"Mommy! We need some help."
zzzip! (dress up dress)
scrub scrub scrub
swirl swirl swirl
dust dust dust
tappity tap tap, "Aw, dang." (computer keys... I realize my library books are due today)
"Aaaaaaaaahhhhh.." (shower)
sweep sweep sweep
"Aw, man... good try, buddy." (Seeing fresh pee on the bathroom rug and floor)
chigga chigga chigga (washing machine washing pee-rug)

ring-ring, "Okay, not a big deal."

"Mommy, we're hungry!"
chomp chomp chomp
giggle giggle giggle
wiggle wiggle wiggle
chomp giggle
ding-dong "Thanks, bye!"

................... (47 seconds of silence while I watch the sweetness of Avery and Gage dancing together in the kitchen). *DAY BOOSTER MOMENT*

.................... (the blissful sound of Quiet Time)

mop mop mop
wipe wipe wipe
"Mommy, I'm awake now!"

Click click click click click click click click click click (Seatbelts buckled!)
vroom vroom
"Argh!" (Realizing I forgot to put the stroller back in the trunk after cleaning out the Trunk or Treat decorations)
sniff sniff sniff
"Oh man!" (Realizing Gage just pooped and I forgot the diaper bag)
sniff sniff, grunt grunt (carrying my stinky baby, two bags full of books, and my purse with two little ducklings into the library)
grrrrrrrrrrrr, grumble grumble (the noises coming from everyone in the forming line behind me while I return my 37 items on an unbelievably slow conveyor belt)
twirl, twirl, crash (the sound of movies falling to the floor as my kids spin the movie holder)

click click click click click click click click click click
vroom vroom
"Are you kiddin' me?" (The one time Wal-Mart doesn't have carts all over the parking lot)
sniff sniff sniff (carrying my poopy baby to the carts by the door)
shop shop shop
"Mom, can we buy...?" "No."
"We really need..." "No."
brrrrriiiiing... a magic wand sound (a friendly face at the store gives me a reason to smile)

click click click click click click click click click click
vroom
rinse rinse rinse (the salad)
chop chop chop chop
stir stir stir
shred shred shred (the chicken)

ding-dong "Hi, come on in!"
ha ha ha ha ha
"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" (Gage burning his hand on the chicken sauce)
munch munch chomp chomp
"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" (Gage still crying)
ha ha ha ha ha
"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"
"Nite Nite."

"Woohoo!!" (Avery excited for Family Night with the missionaries)
aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh..... the sweet calm of the Spirit.
lick lick lick (the ice cream)
"Thanks! Bye!"

kiss kiss, hug hug
brush brush brush
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So it turns out that it really was a good day. It didn't take a "great day" costume off, it put a "terrible day" costume on for a couple of hours. Ha ha, good trick.

5 comments:

The Spradlin Family said...

Love the costumes. I have one question for you:
ARE YOU COMING TO ARKANSAS WITH US OR WHAT?!?!?!
I'll see you there :)

steph said...

Hahhahah! I truly appreciate when parents share the reality of what life is truly like as a parent. While I enjoy the pictures and stories from others that seem to depict a perfect, calm life straight out of "Real Simple" magazine, I know this is not how life truly is or was meant to be. If we didn't have frightening days we wouldn't appreciate the ones that go rather smoothly. And same goes for moments where kids are poopy, crying, or both - we wouldn't appreciate the dancing in the kitchen as much without them. So again, thank you. I really, really enjoyed reading this.

Cassondra said...

Jaci,
You are SUCH a GREAT writer! This was incredibly clever and fun to read! Like Steph said, nice to hear the grind side of motherhood once in a while - especially in such an interesting way! While i am sorry to hear your day was insane, partly on account of me, I am glad it turned out so well in the end. You are wonderful and your attitude is, too.
Cassondra

Scarlet Davis said...

You are so creative. Wish I could think of stuff like that to write about, much less actually write them so poeticly.

Lillakay said...

After sharing this with the family and everyone laughing out loud... Brandon said "Stinky Poopy diaper never got changed"... Or at least we didn't "hear" about it. This was wonderful and so creative!