Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I am a Great Mom

It's happened. We've crossed that line. We've reached the point of no return. The timeless words were released from the sweetest of lips... "Mom, you're ruining my life!"

I wasn't expecting this at least until the tweens. What I was expecting after sending her to her room was, oh, I don't know, maybe the usual, "I'm sorry, Mom. I'm sorry I was sassy." Or even the occasional, "Mom, you hurt my feelings when you told me I couldn't...(fill in the blank)." But no, she made a calm and determined walk down the stairs, stopping on the last step to let me know how she felt... "Mom, you're ruining my life!" I could tell she was really trying to say in angrily.

I don't think she was going for the reaction I gave her - a short burst of laughter followed by a sheepish attempt to be somber and respect her frustration. I think I uttered something along the lines of, "I'm sorry you're mad... go back to your room until you're feeling better."

I love having a girl... the fun is always "just beginning" and I have just been given the Great Mom Award.

4 comments:

The Spradlin Family said...

That's funny. And they only get sassier as they get older. Sam's gonna be 10 (double digits, aaahhh) in February and we're that much closer to the teenage years. You need to write that one down.

You may have got the Great Mom Award, but yesterday I got the Worst Mom Award. It was early out day yesterday (they get out at 2:30on Wednesdays),and I get a phone call at home at 2:55. Sam said, "Mom, where are you?! It's early out day. We've been outside waiting for 20 minutes and we're freezing!" Nice. It was 37 degrees yesterday. I felt horrible!! Like I said, Worst Mom Award.

Whitney said...

I am so glad you are in the club... it so fun to hear those words come out of your kids mouth. I get the Great mom Award at lest once a day, the things he learns from school, Cody has been fun.

Scarlet Davis said...

That's freakin' awesome! Girls rule! Can't wait for mine to start that. Your response was exactly what I would have done. We rock.

Cassondra said...

hahaha!! Oh, the drama of girls! You're right, it does just get better and better as they get even more creative in their fits! I can't even picture Avery saying that which makes it all the more hilarious! You ARE a great mom! One of many things I admire about you!