I knew this year for my birthday I wanted to accomplish something BIG. So last summer I made a goal to run 29 miles... on my 29th birthday... March 29th. It was so perfect, I couldn't wait!! You know when you just really feel like you're on top of your game? I LOVED where I was, and more importantly who I was, last summer; I was done with making babies for a while, I had really regained an awareness of who I wanted to become as a WOMAN... for myself... not just as a wife and mother. This 29 mile goal was to be a pinnacle for me, a representation of my most formative years reaching a peak, I was finally coming into my own, proud of who I was. Then, one week into my training I learned about baby #4 on the way.
Let's skip all the dreadful details of the emotionally dark and devastating months that followed, and fast forward to where we are now... it's a long awaited new day, in a beautiful new Spring. Though the worst is behind me I am still undergoing the most challenging transformation of my life, it reaches far beyond the bounds of pregnancy. I've heard other moms describe this same transformation - sometimes it's brought on by baby number 3, or 4, or 5. Sometimes, it's something entirely different that requires such extreme growth in such a short period of time. Whatever it is, if you've felt it, you know that it's harder than you could have expected. It's not a scratch on the surface - it can't be fixed with shallow condolences such as "don't worry, everything will work out", or the super cheeser, "there is a reason this is happening right now, you just don't know it yet." Or my favorite, "You'll look back on this and say, 'oh, I'm so grateful for....blah blah blah.'" I'm sure the well wishers have their heart in the right place, but I don't. In fact, those sentiments annoy me more than anything, they buzz in one ear and out the other. I'm not looking back. I'm staring straight ahead and I don't want sunshine and roses right now. I need reality, because reality requires doing. A LOT of DOING. And I'm the one who has to do it. This is soul surgery for me.
When I was just a few weeks into this pregnancy I confided in my Mother-in-law that I felt like this was the end of "Jaci the Great". All I was seeing at the end of this road was super-frump Mom who was completely out of control of her kids, her home, and herself. My beautiful, and wise, and ever so poised Mother-in-law said, "It's not the end of Jaci the Great, it's the making of." How does she do it? How does she know just the right words to say that will penetrate straight to the heart of the matter, and keep me going from day to day. Maybe, because she's a mother, a great one.
This isn't the birthday that I'd hoped it would be. My selfishness wanted to accomplish something for myself, I wanted the world to hear my birthday song. But my accomplishment this year, this golden birthday year, is that my world will just keep turning. It will be anchored in routine: another day of simply doing. A day of refinement, of discipline, of consistency, of living for someone else's smile - that's a blessing in itself.
My ray of hope? Well, it's a beam really... a moonbeam. My dad sent me a full moon for my birthday. I love you, Dad!
9 comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You are amazing!
Happy Birthday! Hope you have the best one ever even if it wasn't the one you planned.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER-IN-LOVE!!!! WHAT WE KNOW IS IF THINGS HAD WORKED OUT FOR THAT GREAT RUN YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO PULL IT OFF BECAUSE YOU ALWAYS DO EVERYTHING YOU DO IN A WINNING WAY. WE LOVE YOU! RON AND PAT
Being OVER the baby making part of my life, I mourn that you are not absolutely LOVING where you are. I KNOW it's hard, from day to day. But one day you will be where I am and yearn for what you're living in right now. I have no diapers to change, no bottles to make, no baby waking me in the night seeking comfort. I'm sure you're thinking, "How nice that must be!" I am tired for other reasons and am coming into the mental/spiritual part of raising my family. You are one of the BEST mothers I have ever known. You are an example to me in every way. Love your babies and cherish this phase of your life. Jaci will only be lost for a short time. You will have SO MANY MORE years to find her again. And she will be there, under all of the crusty, baggy t-shirts and sweatpants. Squeeze those babies for me. They are yummy. Oh yeah....Happy Birthday!
OH THANK GOODNESS, I thought your were going to say that you wanted to go SKYDIVING! Happy Birthday anyway! WE'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT OF YOU AS JACI THE GREAT!
And it's true girl, you HAVE to keep looking forward, cause as soon as you turn your back you'll have two of those little suckers hanginag on to your ankles, one cracking an egg on the living room couch and the other playing in the toilet! Yep, keep facing forward, keep moving, you'll win this race girlie! Cause YOU are Jaci the GREAT!
Love you bushels and buckets!
Shelly and Sean and the 4 most precious rug rats ever!
Jaci-I love you. Happy birthday.
Love you!! You are amazing!! Happy birthday
Oh man, Jaci, we really need to talk... these are thoughts & feelings I've had and have always been too afraid to verbalize them.
So funny thing happened! I got an unexpected present of pregnancy for my birthday this year too. Unexpected baby #3 comes in October. You will always be Jaci the Great! Thank you for influencing my life for good even from a distance.
Post a Comment